May 13th MONDAY

Feedly and Writing Tips

In class today, Mr.Paterson had shown us yet another convenient and useful website for us. We made our own Feedly page, which is a website that helps sort out and monitor many websites. By using Feedly, it makes it easier for both teachers and students to access and read each other's blogs, learn from them and see what other people felt about the lesson. Last class when we made our own blogs for the first time, I thought the main purpose was to self reflect on the lesson and think back on what you thought about the lesson as well as keeping those memories for the future. However, after using Feedly and reading other people's blogs, it made me realize that these blogs can greatly help us with our learning by reading other people's perspectives and point of view. Receiving a comment from someone else is exciting and it keeps us motivated to continue to improve our blogs so I will be commenting on my classmate's blogs through Feedly. Apparently, Feedly has made one of the functions on their page only for pro members who pay money to access the website. I thought that this was interesting because this probably means that, more people are starting to use Feedly. Feedly is a website that helps us create our own feed which means internet users are growing largely in numbers to the point that there are enough users of Feedly to make money out of it. I'm glad that they did so since this will become very beneficial for the company because it will become financially successful.

Today, we also learned about how to improve our literacy skills and what a good paragraph is. I had been amazed and surprised by the blog itself and not thinking deeply enough about the content of these blogs. Looking back at my last blog post, my paragraphs were not nearly as long as what Mr.Paterson had explained to us. Also, we were taught about the importance of unifying a paragraph and only writing about one topic in one pargraph. I have a tendency to write about several things in one paragraph and this still has not improved enough. I really need to focus on that this year and will make it one of my goals for writing. I thought that the concept of "Writing for We" was very interesting because I did not know that writing for a broader audience would be connected to an improvement in literature. After today's lesson, I realized that I often forget to add in a conclusion sentence, but in order to round up the paragraph, I realized it is very necessary and crucial. There are many literacy skills that are often forgotten so I am glad that I was reminded about some skills and learned about new techniques that I can feel will improve my writing as well.

Class notes: 

  • good paragraphs are 8-11 sentences longs 
  • unified paragraphs, talk about the topic sentences
  • write three statements/concepts
  • concluding sentence
  • good blogs have 2-3 paragraphs

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts