May 20th MONDAY
In class today, we were yet again informed about the reality of Japan's delay in education. By looking at actual numbers and percentages, it hit me that while Japan is still holding on to the past, other countries are developing on a daily basis and in no time will be somewhere far far away from the current state of Japan. ICU is a school that I had always admired, but after hearing that their system is very inefficient and they still use textbooks, I was a little shocked. I presume universities like ICU have some money, at least enough to make a little change. However, if nothing is being changed or adjusted to fit the modern education system, I thought that the school probably does not think their current system is a problem. Too many schools in Japan are overconfident about what they provide to their students and do not put in the effort or time to change the campus. These changes could take a little time and money. However, these changes will last a long time and will benefit everyone. There are so many problems in our school as well and I believe some people realize it but the school does not accept it for some weird reason. On the other hand, Google has a very fun and convenient office for all workers. Google is a company that has been extremely successful for as long as I know, and it was interesting to find out how and where these differences occur. I loved the burst of colors, relaxing atmosphere, the variety of environments they are able to work in. I feel like the most important thing is that the classroom is for it to be welcoming and that space is utilized efficiently.
I strongly felt that "SPIDER" was a very interesting concept. I had always been taught not to deny anyone's ideas and to give out as many ideas as possible during group work. Nevertheless, we never knew exactly how to find so many ideas and we were only thinking inside the box. Now that I know how to think and to try and view things from various perspectives, I think that more ideas will come to me. In our "educational design teams", there were a lot more ideas been given since last week and I am very excited about this project. Becoming a spectator was one of the biggest changes from last week. Things that we thought were "normal", had been stopping us to properly identify the problems in the school. It has always been us adjusting to the environment, and it had never occurred to me that these inconveniences are something we should think about and persuade the school to change.
There were countless problems that could be fixed in this school if we had enough money, time and people. I simply thought that the campus is just so dark and is not anything like a school that students would actually want to go to. It feels so closed up, dark and uncomfortable and it is definitely not a place where our creativity can be used to its maximum ability. Just in general, I think color, light, and relaxation is the most needed feature in our school before other small changes. Inspiration is nowhere to be found in the current campus and there is nothing that makes us feel relaxed and helps us study in our best state and comfort. In Japan, there is too much judgment and so many strict rules that make no sense and only make a negative impact on our academics. For example, postures and the way you sit on a chair should not be a concern if the student feels the most comfortable in that position. Students should feel comfortable when learning and what most Japanese kids are provided with are uncomfortable chairs so not being able to always keep the best posture is normal. Respect towards the teachers is important and I really do appreciate and respect my teachers but in Japan, it is concerned about way too much. I hope that my group and I can come up with a persuasive and efficient plan for the school using these techniques that we were taught about, as well as our experiences from abroad where schools were not this dull.
Notes:
P.I - problem identification
SPIDER
maximum number of ideas, do not critique the ideas, don't be negative
-spectator (knows nothing)
-Insider(use inside knowledge)
Answer
-dreamer (imagine has unlimited time and money, manpower. dream big.)
-examiner (what are the good ideas?)
-> not deleting ideas, changing ideas
accept some ideas 100%
- Realist
be realistic, ex. not enough money people, time
connect the ideas
I strongly felt that "SPIDER" was a very interesting concept. I had always been taught not to deny anyone's ideas and to give out as many ideas as possible during group work. Nevertheless, we never knew exactly how to find so many ideas and we were only thinking inside the box. Now that I know how to think and to try and view things from various perspectives, I think that more ideas will come to me. In our "educational design teams", there were a lot more ideas been given since last week and I am very excited about this project. Becoming a spectator was one of the biggest changes from last week. Things that we thought were "normal", had been stopping us to properly identify the problems in the school. It has always been us adjusting to the environment, and it had never occurred to me that these inconveniences are something we should think about and persuade the school to change.
There were countless problems that could be fixed in this school if we had enough money, time and people. I simply thought that the campus is just so dark and is not anything like a school that students would actually want to go to. It feels so closed up, dark and uncomfortable and it is definitely not a place where our creativity can be used to its maximum ability. Just in general, I think color, light, and relaxation is the most needed feature in our school before other small changes. Inspiration is nowhere to be found in the current campus and there is nothing that makes us feel relaxed and helps us study in our best state and comfort. In Japan, there is too much judgment and so many strict rules that make no sense and only make a negative impact on our academics. For example, postures and the way you sit on a chair should not be a concern if the student feels the most comfortable in that position. Students should feel comfortable when learning and what most Japanese kids are provided with are uncomfortable chairs so not being able to always keep the best posture is normal. Respect towards the teachers is important and I really do appreciate and respect my teachers but in Japan, it is concerned about way too much. I hope that my group and I can come up with a persuasive and efficient plan for the school using these techniques that we were taught about, as well as our experiences from abroad where schools were not this dull.
Notes:
P.I - problem identification
SPIDER
maximum number of ideas, do not critique the ideas, don't be negative
-spectator (knows nothing)
-Insider(use inside knowledge)
Answer
-dreamer (imagine has unlimited time and money, manpower. dream big.)
-examiner (what are the good ideas?)
-> not deleting ideas, changing ideas
accept some ideas 100%
- Realist
be realistic, ex. not enough money people, time
connect the ideas
Comments
Post a Comment