May 27th MONDAY

Today was another class where we had time to plan out and think about our presentation. Before that, at the beginning of class, we learned about title pages and the structure of a presentation. Quality title pages, using high-quality pictures, with few words on a slide were things that I realized in Mr.Paterson's presentation last week. I had been taught about these kinds of techniques in my previous school, but the structure and the flow of the presentation were very interesting. When we were going through the flow of the presentation, Mr.Paterson had asked us what slide we thought would come next. Towards the end of the presentation, around the conclusion, when he asked us what we thought would come next, in my head, I would always think that it would probably be the "thank you" or "Q&A" slides. However, there were quite a few other different slides in Mr.Paterson's presentation that most presentations I've seen in the past never had. For example, I had not ever put a summary in my presentation and did not make a slide especially for talking about limitations. Listening to Mr.Paterson's explanation, I was very persuaded and I could clearly understand why these slides were needed and that it would improve a presentation. Accepting that there are limitations in a project would make me as a listener feel a lot better knowing the truth, so I'd like to add this in my own presentations as well.

The most interesting fact I learned today, was the "one last thing" slide before the end. Steve Jobs is known for his incredible presentations but, I never knew exactly why and what kind of techniques he used. After being told about one of probably the many techniques Steve Jobs uses in his presentation, I became interested in the many other techniques he uses. The "one last thing" technique, amazed me because this is based on and related to science and studies on psychology. There is a reason why things are the way it is, and there are actual scientific reasonings used in presentations for the audience to be more interested. This made me think that not only in presentations but also several things in the world are related to each other in different ways. This made me believe that subjects like math and science that are disliked by students could actually be very useful knowledge in other areas of life as well. Being able to master these presentation skills and properly using these slides will probably take some practice. Especially as the heart of the group, I need to figure out how to speak persuasively and sound trustworthy. As a group, we need to continue to brainstorm on different ideas about the presentation itself and think about the designs and style we are going to go with.


Comments