June 3rd MONDAY
On Friday, some of us made a presentation in front of the grade and there was already a big difference in everyone's slides. There was an obvious difference in entertainment with those who had bullet points and those who did not. However, everyone including myself has a tendency to stand still behind the stand/desk that is provided, not being able to use body expression. After today's lesson, I understood how bad holding notes are, and there was no one using paper notes on Friday but confidence and gestures was not being utilized. Watching the videos on Mr.Paterson's Youtube channel made me realize that reading notes off the computer is just as bad as paper notes because the concept of reading to the audience does not change. I believe some people were doing so, and that should be fixed. In the past few months, I feel like I have been able to improve my confidence in public speaking but it still is an area that I really need to work on. Also, what I thought should have been done after taking today's class, was the smooth transition to the next person when doing a team presentation. In my presentation, I had practiced around 10 times with my partner, but I only practiced it once or twice with an audience. We definitely did not introduce each other during the presentation and just did not say anything when switching people.
Listening to Mr.Paterson's presentation, there were several things I was amazed by and many elements and skills that I realized he had used. I was simply amazed by the content of the presentation and was truly mind blown by how detailed he was in his architecture and how he had been a part of every process. Being told at the end that Mr.Paterson was raised in a not so wealthy family and has already accomplished most dreams he ever had in life really inspired me. I feel like I have not done nearly any of the things I dream of and always thought that many of them were impossible. However, this presentation gave me hope and that really anyone can do whatever they desire. Giving an extremely strong message was one of the many tricks Mr.Paterson had used very effectively and indeed made the audience think deeply about the topic. Apart from the content itself, I realized he brought in a lot of information about his family and privacy, opening up to the audience and making them feel more inclusive. As a listener, I thought this was great because I found out more about the speaker and knowing his lifestyle in places other than the school was interesting to listen to and really got my attention. The way he presented with so much confidence, really showing that he knew what he was talking about, made it a very interesting presentation to listen to and we could also tell it was practiced several times. At the end of the class, Mr.Paterson had told us that some rules can be broken if there is a reason. I always thought these rules being taught to us were the guidelines and had to be strictly followed, but I realized that is not always the case and there are some exceptions that need to be made.
Listening to Mr.Paterson's presentation, there were several things I was amazed by and many elements and skills that I realized he had used. I was simply amazed by the content of the presentation and was truly mind blown by how detailed he was in his architecture and how he had been a part of every process. Being told at the end that Mr.Paterson was raised in a not so wealthy family and has already accomplished most dreams he ever had in life really inspired me. I feel like I have not done nearly any of the things I dream of and always thought that many of them were impossible. However, this presentation gave me hope and that really anyone can do whatever they desire. Giving an extremely strong message was one of the many tricks Mr.Paterson had used very effectively and indeed made the audience think deeply about the topic. Apart from the content itself, I realized he brought in a lot of information about his family and privacy, opening up to the audience and making them feel more inclusive. As a listener, I thought this was great because I found out more about the speaker and knowing his lifestyle in places other than the school was interesting to listen to and really got my attention. The way he presented with so much confidence, really showing that he knew what he was talking about, made it a very interesting presentation to listen to and we could also tell it was practiced several times. At the end of the class, Mr.Paterson had told us that some rules can be broken if there is a reason. I always thought these rules being taught to us were the guidelines and had to be strictly followed, but I realized that is not always the case and there are some exceptions that need to be made.
Comments
Post a Comment