July 1st MONDAY
In today's class, we finally were able to finish all the presentations and I got to see every groups presentation. Every class, the presentations' quality became higher and performance skills were definitely improving. I was the first group to present and clearly did not meet anyone's expectations and was not satisfied with myself. However, being told that we have another chance to present, made me feel a better because I know the next I present I will have practice 100 times more than before. Throughout the presentations, I asked quite a few questions and not only as a speaker but also I need to work on being a better audience. Honestly, I think I do quite a good job of listening to the presentations but when it comes to Q&A time, I stumble to make questions and when I raise up my hand to ask my question, I cannot seem to get my point across. This irritates me a lot and in the future when we do our presentations again, I'd like to be a better audience and have more deep and meaningful questions. After a whole semester of working on presentations and listening to other people's groups, I found quite a lot of areas of improvement by watching my own presentation from the video taken, and listening to other peoples presentations. I already made some changes on the slides right after our presentation and reflecting on my own. I also did think about how I could improve it, so I hope these thoughts and experiences can be utilized in my next presentation.
Mr.Paterson gave us personal advice on our presentations, and since I was the first group to present, we were able to get his advice in today's class. I was happy when he had told me that my transition, gestures and voices were okay and decent but there were so many places of improvement for both me and my team. I do not know how I made this mistake, but the biggest thing I need to change in our slides is to have the summary come first then the conclusion. Thinking about it now, having a conclusion before my summary makes absolute no sense and is very strange. Summarizing the presentation, then concluding the main points is much easier for the audience to understand our presentation as a whole. While making the presentation, it had not come to my attention that the same font should be used throughout the slides. There were a few areas that the font was different and I could see that this was not very professional and after this being pointed out to me I changed it straight away. Unfortunately, all of the groups including myself did not have an appropriate and good "one last thing" slide, to end the presentation. My team and myself will make sure this slide is a visual one and gets the point across at the very end. These were a few of the advice that Mr.Paterson had given me and I truly think that if I did all of the things he said, it would improve my presentation drastically already.
Mr.Paterson gave us individual advice but he also gave the group and the slides some advice. The slide with our outline of the presentation had a picture edited into a circular shape for each topic that we were going to introduce. The size of the circles were slightly different. Also, since there were only pictures, it was a little hard to understand so we were told to have some words along with the pictures. I had thought about having words with the picture as well when making the slides, but I thought having the minimum amount of words would be better. However, after getting this feedback, I realized sometimes you have to add a few words to make the presentation more easy to understand. After this, I finally understood what Mr.Paterson meant when he told us that some rules have to be broken in certain occasions. Also, on the very first slide (title slide) Mr.Paterson pointed out that the name may get cut off on the screen and it should be lined up with the title. I did not even think about aligning the title and the names. Also, it definitely did not come to my attention that some words may be cut off on the screen. I think that these realizations are made after lots of practice.
team member's feedback from Mr.Paterson:
mouth
no self introduction, credibility
(for the past two months...)
give the audience a reason to listen to you
too much eye contact to the screen and laptop
look at people in the room, they are the reason you are there
playing with your hair
head
sleeves make people look nervous, push sleeves up
about to start hard work,
slides were visual style
heart (me)
transition, gesture, voices was good
summary and conclusion, (what do these main points mean)
font changes, one last thing slide(say it) visual slide
slides
references-
pixabay pics (0 cc licences) and pics took on your own
font is different,
slide 3, spacing and size
Mr.Paterson gave us personal advice on our presentations, and since I was the first group to present, we were able to get his advice in today's class. I was happy when he had told me that my transition, gestures and voices were okay and decent but there were so many places of improvement for both me and my team. I do not know how I made this mistake, but the biggest thing I need to change in our slides is to have the summary come first then the conclusion. Thinking about it now, having a conclusion before my summary makes absolute no sense and is very strange. Summarizing the presentation, then concluding the main points is much easier for the audience to understand our presentation as a whole. While making the presentation, it had not come to my attention that the same font should be used throughout the slides. There were a few areas that the font was different and I could see that this was not very professional and after this being pointed out to me I changed it straight away. Unfortunately, all of the groups including myself did not have an appropriate and good "one last thing" slide, to end the presentation. My team and myself will make sure this slide is a visual one and gets the point across at the very end. These were a few of the advice that Mr.Paterson had given me and I truly think that if I did all of the things he said, it would improve my presentation drastically already.
Mr.Paterson gave us individual advice but he also gave the group and the slides some advice. The slide with our outline of the presentation had a picture edited into a circular shape for each topic that we were going to introduce. The size of the circles were slightly different. Also, since there were only pictures, it was a little hard to understand so we were told to have some words along with the pictures. I had thought about having words with the picture as well when making the slides, but I thought having the minimum amount of words would be better. However, after getting this feedback, I realized sometimes you have to add a few words to make the presentation more easy to understand. After this, I finally understood what Mr.Paterson meant when he told us that some rules have to be broken in certain occasions. Also, on the very first slide (title slide) Mr.Paterson pointed out that the name may get cut off on the screen and it should be lined up with the title. I did not even think about aligning the title and the names. Also, it definitely did not come to my attention that some words may be cut off on the screen. I think that these realizations are made after lots of practice.
team member's feedback from Mr.Paterson:
mouth
no self introduction, credibility
(for the past two months...)
give the audience a reason to listen to you
too much eye contact to the screen and laptop
look at people in the room, they are the reason you are there
playing with your hair
head
sleeves make people look nervous, push sleeves up
about to start hard work,
slides were visual style
heart (me)
transition, gesture, voices was good
summary and conclusion, (what do these main points mean)
font changes, one last thing slide(say it) visual slide
slides
references-
pixabay pics (0 cc licences) and pics took on your own
font is different,
slide 3, spacing and size
Comments
Post a Comment