Mapping the room (Oct. 29th)
For the past few classes, one of our teammates Ibuki has been absent so Sayo and I were working on improving our presentation and our brochure. We continued doing this today as well. We were first creating our brochure on google docs because they had a template originally made, and I thought this would be most convenient for us since all we had to do was insert the text. However, once we finished writing all the things we needed to include in our brochure, we thought that it was a little too simple and dull so we used Canva to create our brochure. I think it turned out a lot better than the first one we made and am pretty satisfied with it. It was a little hard to put everything we wanted to say in a brochure because the amount of pictures we can use is limited compared to our presentation. Also, we needed to make sure it was easy to understand and could easily take in all the information, yet still had to make sure we included everything we need to say. It was my first time creating a brochure and designing a brochure and it was a lot of fun. Looking at the completed brochure, I thought that this was a very unique and interesting way of transferring lots of information to people through one document. I would like to create brochures in the future so I do not have to try and say everything in the presentation and by creating an intriguing brochure, people may feel more interested in our topic compared to a dull document. The fact that a brochure is a document you can download and have on your phone is very convenient and different from websites or presentations. It does not need wifi and having a downloadable version of all the information is definitely convenient. This project made me understand the merits of a brochure and now I kind of know how to use one.
In this class, Mr.Paterson introduced us to a new strategy regarding the delivery of a presentation. He taught us about "mapping the room". This was something that I was incredibly interested in because I wanted to have movement in my presentation but did not exactly know-how. By mapping the room and knowing exactly where you are going to stand during the presentation, I think it will lead to more confidence throughout the presentation which was one of the largest problems I had. Also, if you think about where you are going to stand it can symbolize something. For example, Mr.Paterson changed where he stood according to what country he was talking about. Even though the audience may not truly realize that you are "mapping the room", they could unconciously be receiving a stronger impact from the presentation/speech.
Mr.Paterson showed us all the different ways we could be changing slides. In my presentation, I had my teammates click the slides for me because I wanted to move and walk around while I talk and clicking it on my own would not allow me to do that. However, looking back at the video it looked unprofessional and not so good so I would like to decide on a signal to do with my teammates when I need to present. One thing that I was curious about while watching other team's presentations was the presenters who were not speaking. I actually wrote about this in one of my blogs as well so I was very glad to hear about this. Mr.Paterson told us that the next speaker should be looking at the audience and how they are responding to the speaker. The other team members should be clicking the slides or helping the speaker. This made perfect sense to me and I think is very true.
Mapping the room
Where you use the room for different things. For example, one place in the room could symbolize the present and the other side of the screen may be the "future".
- past present future
-one country and another (world)
-home and else where
-topic a, topic b, topic c
-decide where you are going to stand for which slide
Comments
Post a Comment