Other team's presentation (Oct. 8th)

Today, we listened to two more presentations. While listening to the teams present, I focused on how the presenters who were not speaking were like. I am not really sure ideally how the two/three people should be like when their other team member is speaking. However, it is their time as a team so they should definitely not look bored and look like they are not paying any attention to their team member who is speaking. As a classmate, I totally understand that there are some things you want to say to the other person who is with you when you are not speaking. However, talking amongst the team members when someone else is presenting is definitely not professional and it was a little distracting. We've been focused on how to become a better presenter and speaker but have not really talked about the people who are standing in front of the computer. Another problem I realized was the people standing by the computer definitely did not know when to change the slide. The communication between the speaker upfront and the one changing the slides was not good in most teams. As an audience seeing so many presentations now, I can not stress enough about how much of a difference it makes when the team is actually functioning as a whole knowing when to click the next slide. Another thing about the team members who are not speaking is the way they support their team members' part if the presentation. What I mean by this is, when the speaker is asking a question, the other team members should help encourage the audience to say their answer or raise their hand up. For example, the other team members could signal the audience to raise their hand up or answer the question too and make the presentation more inclusive. There have been many times where the speaker just gives up on asking their question because no one in the audience answers, which I think is very wasteful.

Another problem I realize today was that the projector is no good and even with all the lights off, light colors can not be seen whatsoever. White letters on backgrounds that were a little light or pictures of white/light-colored objects could not be seen even a single bit. It was a problem one of the teams even talked about. This may be the projector's problem but knowing this and experiencing that it is hard to see light things with this projector, people should change their slides. I hope teams that go in the next class make sure that the pictures and words are actually visible even when projected. I believe my team had one picture of an air purifier that was white but it had a black border so it had some kind of shape but I need to change that into a more clear one. A reoccurring habit that I realized was that more and more people keep looking back at the screen as they talk and as the teams go on, the body expression gets smaller and people are starting to fidget with their clothing, hair, and fingers. When the speaker looks confident and is very open, the audience automatically feels a lot closer to the speaker and very included. There are so many things I have learned while listening to other people present, so I am very excited for the team that is going on Monday, yet so nervous for them but I wish them the best. As different teams present, I have also been making several changes to my team's presentation so by the end we will have the absolute best presentation slides.

Notes:

  • proof of concept
  • color of font and picture
  • match the slides with the word
  • make slides more impactful
  • summary, conclusion, one last thing page pictures
  • repetition of words "um, like, also"
  • looking unconfident by staring into the distance or looking up

Comments

Popular Posts