How to write an extended essay (Nov. 5th)

Over the three day holiday, I touched up the brochure that my team and I made on Canva. In today's class, we were taught the proper way of writing a brochure and how it should be formatted. I do write essays quite a lot for English class but it has been quite a while since I have been taught the proper way to write an essay in detail. Also, before taking today's class, I did not put much thought into the title of my essays. It would usually be a few words that would somewhat sum up the essay. However, from now on I would like to use what I have been taught today. This way we can incorporate humor/a hook and a more detailed explanation of what is written in the essay. Listening to Mr.Paterson say this, I thought that this is definitely the most effective way. Something I need to work on is the first few sentences of my introduction. I find it really difficult to come up with some sort of interesting hook or story and get the meaning across in just a few sentences. Hopefully, while writing this essay I will be able to improve this skill with the help of my teammates and their advice.

None of my team members were with me today because they were both absent. I was not sure what I was going to write about and how I was going to write it. Mr.Paterson had helped me and answered a few questions I had. So then, I was more clear on what I was going to write and started writing down the layout. After being retold that we had to have three sections and three paragraphs and three points in the paragraphs really made me notice how much humans like threes. I never really thought about this and used threes because they were just the perfect number in most circumstances. There are countless times where two would be too little, four would be too much so we would go with three. I have been using the writing tools we have been introduced to since the beginning of semester one when the teacher first told us about them. However, I never really had enough time to go through all of the tools and fix the essay. So, I am very excited to be able to put these tools up to a test and really learn more about these tools so I can use them to its greatest.

I created the google doc for my team and myself since I was the only one in class today. I started jotting down ideas and writing down how I would order them. Since there is more than just myself in this essay, it really required me to think about the flow of the whole essay. Extended essays were something I had heard of but never written. I am actually pretty excited to be writing one this term and being able to work on it with my friends since it is my first time officially writing an extended essay, which is great. I was in charge of the last elements for improving the classroom, plantations. Which means I will be writing about plants in the classroom for my section. I have decided on talking about the different types of plants, how plants really help improve a learning space and about schools that have proven the importance of plants in the classroom.

How to write an extended essay (Notes from class)
Title
---(funny alliteration), attention getter : _____________ (detailed)
intro
- 1-2sentences for hook, quotes, statistics, story
  3-8sentences, background( big or small depends on the audience)
  1 sentence, thesis statement (topic, claim, 3 reasons) don't go into detail, just list the reasons
1)body one
- topic and claim, topic sentence, reasonings, conclusion (paraphrase repeat of the topic sentence, a summary of key points, depends on how the audience thinks) if the audience is against your topic, summary and push forward key points conclusion sentence
2)body two
3)body three
 conclusion
- summary (three of your body paragraphs,
  conclusion (why?)
  Limitation (what you were not able to consider)

references
alphabetical order

Extended essay(three paragraphs each)
-section one mouth
-section two head
-section three heart
(connect the paragraphs )

use writing tools from semester one!!
the classical pattern of threes, everyone likes things in threes

Comments

Popular Posts