MLA percentage and Readability (Nov.25th)

We are almost finished with writing our brochure and in today's class, we tweaked the essay a little bit and touched it up. By using the writing tools we were introduced to, my team's essay became more academic and full of better vocabulary choices. Mr.Paterson told us to keep our average percentage of AWL words at approximately 7.1%. He told us to keep all the paragraphs aroun the same percentage and try avoiding having one very high percentaged paragraph, and one very low one. All of our paragraphs were roughly around the same regarding the difficulty of reading. The first time we inserted our paragraph into "analyze my writing", most of them were already at a moderately high level ranging from 11-14. On the other hand, the AWL words percentage was quite different amongst each pargraph. There were pargraphs that were as low as 2% to those that were 10%. Using all of today's class, we made sure most of the pargraphs were beetween 7-9%. The pargraphs I wrote were quite long so changing one word into an AWL word did not do much and the percentage stayed the same. However, my team mate's paragraphs were quite short so it was very easy for her to change her percentage score. By the end of class we were both satisifed by the data that had been calucalted upon our sentences.

I think that these writing tools that are data based can be both good and bad. For example, there were a few paragraphs I was very proud of but the AWL word percentage was extremely low. This made me a little upset because I had really thought through on which vocabulary to use throughout the pargraph to get across the message we had. However, I now think that the AWL word percentage is not everything and the quality of the paragraph does not entirely depend on this number. This is only a number that has been mathematically calculated and there is no reason to feel less confident on the paragraph we were happy with. Having a number that shows how much the AWL word percentage is is important but not the biggest problem. Having my readibility calculated and knowing the AWL word percentage really helped me understand the level of my writing and how academically suitable it is. I can really rely on this data because it does not acquire any personal opinions and I think it is great for that matter. I would like to keep these tools on hand and in mind in the future so I can utilize them and what my writing looks like in numbers. Seeing a low percentage motivated me in challening myself to incorporate harder and more educational vocabularies which is great. Knowin my readability is a great thing but I would like to keep in mind that these numbers can be really helpful and convenienent but not something that should entirely change the way I felt about a piece of writing.

Mr.Paterson told us that we will be talking about titles and references in the next class. I think that I have written a reasonabally effective title but I am excited to see what the teacher says and what he teaches us.

Comments

Popular Posts