Thesis Statement (Nov. 12th)

In class, today we were taught about how to write a thesis statement. I've been taught about thesis statements in the past but I always forget what they are supposed to do and how exactly to write one.
I never knew that many teachers first look at the thesis statement before reading through the whole essay. I usually tend to care more about the very first sentence of an essay rather than the thesis statement. In order to understand an essay, I would like to read the thesis statement before the rest from now on and figure out if this is a good essay as well. Making sure the thesis statement is simple, clear and shows what will be coming in the following essay. When my team and I were trying to write a good thesis statement, but it was a lot harder than we thought. The three sections were about plants, comfort, and natural lighting but the 3 reasons always end up being the benefits of a good classroom. When we were giving each other advice for the hook we were told that we should not have personal pronouns in our hook. I said the same thing for the other group but in our team, we put it at the beginning of a question. We tried to take out the personal pronoun but it was almost impossible to take the "you" out. I think in this situation it is fine because we want the reader to think about themselves and it is better if the reader thinks about their own situation. I do not really know how to create an organizational pattern in the essay. Not that we know if we are going to have 2 sections or just three but I think that to connect the two sections we are going to talk about WAB is a good example of the element and then talk about WAB again in the last section.

While taking class today, I was reminded of how I should read back on my own blogs and make sure I do not forget what I have learned. By writing blogs every single class it really allows me to reflect on the class but after writing the blog I feel like I tend to forget about what we learned. In the future, I think that I will obviously forget how to write thesis statements since I forgot after two weeks of learning about it. From now on I really need to make sure that I reflect on blogs from the past and do not forget what I have learned. Rather than searching up how to write thesis statements on websites, I think that looking back at my own blogs will be a lot faster and easier to understand. It is not like we have to go through papers and our own notebook to figure out what we learned. Simply reading through our own blogs should be really easy and if not, going through other people's blogs will probably be more interesting and not boring even if we read our own over and over again. Everyone wrote "the problem" or "the solution" in their thesis statement and I used to write "this essay will talk about" and I still see many people do this. I did not know rather if this is something that we should do but I honestly think it is a little too boring and simple of a way to introduce the rest of the essay.

(I am so sorry that this blog post was late and was not published before the due date. I had completely forgotten to publish it, but this blog post was written on the day of the class!)

Notes:
thesis statement - clear road map of the whole paper
3 parts
topic, claim, 3 reasons (the body paragraphs)
stand-alone, one single sentence

Comments

Popular Posts