Academic Essay Writing (Jan. 14th)

Today was our first class back from the holiday. My team had somehow thought that we were going to present the first-day class back from winter break. However, it turned out that we did not have to present and won't be for at least a few weeks. I do not regret practicing because it helped me be prepared for class today and since we fixed all the things the teacher told us to, we could move on to other tasks we had to do. Unfortunately, it seems like one of our team members will not be joining us this semester, so we were able to fix some parts of our presentation and decide on who was gonna speak what he originally spoke. During the winter break, we were really able to deepen our understanding of this topic through different papers written by researchers and reading through several types of media. We were also able to acknowledge this information in our essays. One of our major issues in our extended essay was that we did not write who did what experiment to prove our statement. We had the proof and had the research but just did not include detailed information on the research itself. For example, our essay would say "according to researchers..." so during the holiday we made sure we used actual names and wrote more about what they did. The work we did over the break was really helpful and because of that I think writing our academic essay will not be too much of a load, compared to if we hadn't done anything over the holidays

Last semester we worked on a pretty big scale of writing, an extended essay. It was my first time writing one and there were quite a few new things that were very different from other types of writing I had done in the past. This term, we were told that we are going to write an academic essay. This is something I am more familiar with and I really want to make a good piece of writing because it is a topic that I have worked on for so long and now have become somewhat passionate about. Also, I quite enjoy writing essays of this length and hope to get better t it this term. I look forward to applying all the writing tools on the internet and all the tips from teachers/classmates. According to Mr.Paterson, the academic essay is supposed to be more in-depth and in detail compared to an extended essay. It was actually exciting hearing that because this is a topic that I can talk in detail about.

For this academic essay, I will most likely copy the three body paragraphs and work my way around that. I may adjust a few things but that will be the base of my essay. For the extended essay, I did write most of it but I do not think that this would suit my academic essay so I will probably end up changing most of it. Also, since we were talking about various things on a broader scale, I need to have a more specific and suitable introduction/conclusion for my essay.

Additional notes:
references: 5 paragraph essay - at least 10 sources
at least 3 references per person(three statements)
To become a university level, each person's section (in an extended essay) should have 9 (3x3)




Comments

Popular Posts