Academic Essays (Jan. 21st)
Notes:
topic sentence, concluding sentence does not need
conclusion (new information) saying what all of this means (1+)
In today's class we were introduced to a very nicely written 11 pargraph extended essay. In the essay, there was a reference to a study done about how important body language is. I found this very interesting and was surprised to hear that this was something that is actually proven due to research. Mr.Paterson talked about several elements of the essay making it a very good one. I think that the way the lines were a little spaced out made it easier to read. Just by reading a few sentences and scrolling through the essay I could tell that it was simple yet very deep and educating. Listening to the teacher talk made me realize how important thesis statements were and how important of a role it plays in an essay. I think it was a very good opportunity for us to be shown this example. One of my biggest problems with writing is the in-text citations. I have somehow managed to create a works cited list with a decent amount of referencs. However, I have always had a hard time trying to write all my in-text citations and not miss a single reference.
I used the app "Zotero" for the first time today. I was able to download the app quite easily and install it into google chrome. After trying to use it for the first time, I found it really easy and convenient to use. Within less than 10 minutes I was able to insert all the links and sources I used in the past in our project. All I need to do now is to transfer that into a MLA citation and paste it into my document. When Mr.Paterson told us that university students need around 13+ references I was shocked. I often get a lot of information from the same website or paper so I usually only have 1-2 citations for each pargraph. However, what I thought during class was that even if all the information you need is in one source, I came to a conclusion that we should always as many sources to make sure we are not getting any wrong information. Being told that we need a reference for our conclusion in the last pargraph made me realize I need to put in more effort in writing my conclusion.
topic sentence, concluding sentence does not need
conclusion (new information) saying what all of this means (1+)
In today's class we were introduced to a very nicely written 11 pargraph extended essay. In the essay, there was a reference to a study done about how important body language is. I found this very interesting and was surprised to hear that this was something that is actually proven due to research. Mr.Paterson talked about several elements of the essay making it a very good one. I think that the way the lines were a little spaced out made it easier to read. Just by reading a few sentences and scrolling through the essay I could tell that it was simple yet very deep and educating. Listening to the teacher talk made me realize how important thesis statements were and how important of a role it plays in an essay. I think it was a very good opportunity for us to be shown this example. One of my biggest problems with writing is the in-text citations. I have somehow managed to create a works cited list with a decent amount of referencs. However, I have always had a hard time trying to write all my in-text citations and not miss a single reference.
I used the app "Zotero" for the first time today. I was able to download the app quite easily and install it into google chrome. After trying to use it for the first time, I found it really easy and convenient to use. Within less than 10 minutes I was able to insert all the links and sources I used in the past in our project. All I need to do now is to transfer that into a MLA citation and paste it into my document. When Mr.Paterson told us that university students need around 13+ references I was shocked. I often get a lot of information from the same website or paper so I usually only have 1-2 citations for each pargraph. However, what I thought during class was that even if all the information you need is in one source, I came to a conclusion that we should always as many sources to make sure we are not getting any wrong information. Being told that we need a reference for our conclusion in the last pargraph made me realize I need to put in more effort in writing my conclusion.
Comments
Post a Comment