Reaction to Zotero (Jan. 20th)
In today’s class, we were introduced to an app called Zotero. I have used a few apps that can change a link into an MLA citation but Zotero was so much easier and convenient to use. Often other apps can do really well in creating a citation for a link but not so much for other types of media. For example, to have an app create a book citation, in most cases we have to find out all the information by searching it up and looking through the book. It was really fascinating to hear that Zotero can automatically do that for us through a website such as Amazon. One of the other things I was surprised by was how versatile the app is. It works on literally any device and can be used perfectly almost on any software. Most apps are targetted for certain types of devices and companies but Zotero has a wide variety. I thought this will come in handy so more people can use Zotero which will help us during group projects. Another factor of the app that amazed me was that the app thinks about so much more than just converting a piece of information into a citation. The fact that the app offers a place to take notes is very helpful. Also, being able to keep all the citations in folders is really helpful. I always keep my citations in the word document I am typing in for each project so I lose track of which citation is in which document. This will help save time in having to find each citation in case something happens and in case I want to look back on something I used before instead of searching through the "history" list.
When there are apps like Zotero that make citations so much easier I think there will be fewer mistakes in citations and plagiarism in general. Mistaking a citation can be a pretty big issue and very disrespectful to whoever wrote this information. However, sometimes this happens and I believe Zotero can prevent a huge part of these mistakes. Since it can sync to whichever app you are using (word, google docs, etc...) it is really to write in-text citations as well. I was so surprised by how convenient this app is and shocked about how I did not know about this app. Being able to write a proper citation on your own is an important skill but knowing that there is an app that can do this process way faster and efficiently is really nice. Another thing that I thought was really good is that this app allows us to visually see what types of sources you have used. For example, in your list of sources in Zotero is filled with only the newspaper emoji, this would not be the best balance. This would make me realize that I need to incorporate some other types of information (eg. books, websites and academic papers).
Mr.Paterson mentioned the newspaper company B.B.C and talked about how they don't write the journalists' names to show that the company is not bias. These past few weeks, in subjects other than English we have been studying fake news and fake information on the internet. I do not mean to propose that B.B.C is fake but as technology develops we really need to keep in mind that we should not trust and take in every bit of information on the internet. This was a very good reminder to me because I used to belive everything word for word on the internet and thinking back on it now, that is very dangerous. Overall, listening to the teacher talk about this app really made me want to be able to utilize it.
When there are apps like Zotero that make citations so much easier I think there will be fewer mistakes in citations and plagiarism in general. Mistaking a citation can be a pretty big issue and very disrespectful to whoever wrote this information. However, sometimes this happens and I believe Zotero can prevent a huge part of these mistakes. Since it can sync to whichever app you are using (word, google docs, etc...) it is really to write in-text citations as well. I was so surprised by how convenient this app is and shocked about how I did not know about this app. Being able to write a proper citation on your own is an important skill but knowing that there is an app that can do this process way faster and efficiently is really nice. Another thing that I thought was really good is that this app allows us to visually see what types of sources you have used. For example, in your list of sources in Zotero is filled with only the newspaper emoji, this would not be the best balance. This would make me realize that I need to incorporate some other types of information (eg. books, websites and academic papers).
Mr.Paterson mentioned the newspaper company B.B.C and talked about how they don't write the journalists' names to show that the company is not bias. These past few weeks, in subjects other than English we have been studying fake news and fake information on the internet. I do not mean to propose that B.B.C is fake but as technology develops we really need to keep in mind that we should not trust and take in every bit of information on the internet. This was a very good reminder to me because I used to belive everything word for word on the internet and thinking back on it now, that is very dangerous. Overall, listening to the teacher talk about this app really made me want to be able to utilize it.
Comments
Post a Comment