Touching up our academic essays(Jan. 28th)
Some of our classmates' essays were projected onto the screen for the teacher to give some advice. Most of what the teacher had pointed out to the students' essays were things I had worked on in my essay and did not have the same mistakes. I think I have made a decent title, thesis statement and done by citations properly which were the main things he talked about. Our task is to perfect our academic essay and then take the three-body paragraphs and insert them into our team's extended essay. However, what I realized was that I still need to fix Ibuki's part of the essay and apply all of our knowledge to his section as well. I think this will be a good reminder for us to review everything we learned this and last semester. Looking at my "version history" I had sometimes worked on my essays on days that we did not have class. There were a few times I opened up the document and edited a little bit throughout the week. Compared to our presentation, I think the effort going into the essay is not enough so I am going to use this week to really brush up everything and work on it little by little. I was really convinced when Mr.Paterson said it is better to work on something little by little, rather than rushing it through in a short period. I have always believed that there should be enough time in between all the times we work on something. For example, for this essay working on it for 10 minutes and then opening it up the next day is probably much more efficient and will create a high-quality end result because your brain has time to refresh in between and will be able to view the work in a different perspective by the next time you work on it.
I had really tried hard with my in-text citations and references using Zotero because it was something new to me this semester. Just in case a few references were missing, I tried to refresh my works cited list using Zotero on google docs. When I refreshed it, everything that I had written was completely gone and I was in absolute shock. I had probably accidentally selected the whole essay and clicked "refresh bibliography", so the refreshed version had replaced the actual essay. I honestly was really really depressed and panicking because I had lost everything I had been working on for the past few weeks. I tried to quickly copy and paste my body paragraphs from the team extended essay and make changes to the introduction/conclusion paragraph. However, I could not remember everything I wrote and all the changes I had made so it was really difficult to recreate what I had deleted. I decided to ask the teacher for help and he showed me how I can view the old versions of the essay. The version with all the intext citations and all the changes I made for my academic essay had been there so I was extremely relieved.
When I first found out I had deleted all of the text, I was so frustrated and immediately thought to myself that I should save a copy of all my text on Microsoft word in case something like this happens again. I really regretted not doing so and was honestly a little disappointed in google docs. After that happened, I told myself not to always completely rely on Google Docs and have a backup. However, when I figured out that I could view versions of the document from the past, I was super impressed. At first, I thought that there are some cons to Google Docs and Word is honestly safer but being able to view version history means that an accident like this can always be saved and is really helpful. I always knew that these days everything can be done on the internet with technology but there was a part of me that was a little nervous in completely trusting the apps. Knowing that there are so many things you can do and preferences to Google Docs blew my mind and was again impressed with this very futuristic and way too convenient technological systems. I came to the conclusion that I need to research more about these apps and know what you can do with them so I can utilize them to their greatest!!
I had really tried hard with my in-text citations and references using Zotero because it was something new to me this semester. Just in case a few references were missing, I tried to refresh my works cited list using Zotero on google docs. When I refreshed it, everything that I had written was completely gone and I was in absolute shock. I had probably accidentally selected the whole essay and clicked "refresh bibliography", so the refreshed version had replaced the actual essay. I honestly was really really depressed and panicking because I had lost everything I had been working on for the past few weeks. I tried to quickly copy and paste my body paragraphs from the team extended essay and make changes to the introduction/conclusion paragraph. However, I could not remember everything I wrote and all the changes I had made so it was really difficult to recreate what I had deleted. I decided to ask the teacher for help and he showed me how I can view the old versions of the essay. The version with all the intext citations and all the changes I made for my academic essay had been there so I was extremely relieved.
When I first found out I had deleted all of the text, I was so frustrated and immediately thought to myself that I should save a copy of all my text on Microsoft word in case something like this happens again. I really regretted not doing so and was honestly a little disappointed in google docs. After that happened, I told myself not to always completely rely on Google Docs and have a backup. However, when I figured out that I could view versions of the document from the past, I was super impressed. At first, I thought that there are some cons to Google Docs and Word is honestly safer but being able to view version history means that an accident like this can always be saved and is really helpful. I always knew that these days everything can be done on the internet with technology but there was a part of me that was a little nervous in completely trusting the apps. Knowing that there are so many things you can do and preferences to Google Docs blew my mind and was again impressed with this very futuristic and way too convenient technological systems. I came to the conclusion that I need to research more about these apps and know what you can do with them so I can utilize them to their greatest!!
Comments
Post a Comment