One Of Us Is Lying (Ch.17-18)

Summary
Chapter 17
Addy
Addy, Janae, Bronwyn, and her sister do not have any friends at schools except for each other and are surprisingly becoming close friends. In science class, Addy ends up next to TJ which he apologizes for even if he has done nothing bad. They have a decent conversation where TJ compliments Addy's hair and seems like they're not ignoring themselves like before. On her way out of class, Jack talks to her (after ignoring her for two weeks straight). Jack hesitantly asked if Addy would like to talk that afternoon and she was beyond excited for what seemed like approval from Jack.
Nate
Bronwyn and Nate are at a peak in their neighborhood, trying to not get into anyone's sight since they are so famous in the neighborhood. Bronwyn talks about how she had called Eli, a lawyer-ish person who was on television analyzing Simon's death in a relatively convincing way. Eli had explained the possibilities of how Mr.Avery could be suspicious, how the car accident right before Simon's death was odd, and how that could have been planned.
While the two of them hang out together, Bronwyn receives a text from her mother saying that she needs to go to the police officer. They head to Nate's house so Bronwyn's sister can pick her up, but his mom is at the door.

Chapter 18
Bronwyn
Bronwyn is in shock seeing Nate's mom at the doorway staring at his son with ravenous eyes. Maeve(Bronwyn's sister) comes to pick her up and they make their way to the police officers. In the car, both of them struggle to make out any words from their mouth so shocked to see Nate's mom who had been assumed dead years ago.
When she enters the conference room joining her mother, her lawyer Robin and Detective Mendoza. Detective Mendoza shows an article written by Simon on a companion website for About That. It is an article about Bronwyn's sister Mendoza from years ago that made her never want to go out anymore. Robin states that Bronwyn has "no comment," but Mendoza insists she does--or at least she did--before revealing that the post's history includes a violent comment by Bronwyn a few years ago.
Addy
Addy arrives at Jack's house and uncomfortable has a conversation with him in the living room where she'd never really been back when they were dating. She felt as if an apology as asked of her but she did not give it to him. She left his hour with a feeling of freeness she hadn't had for a long time.
Cooper
They are getting more attention than they had ever expected and even trending on Google for reasons Cooper was not necessarily happy about. While some people hated the four "murderers", others loved and supported them. He was thankful to have friends who would cooperate in escaping all the cameramen. On the way back from the gym where he had disguised himself as another person, he goes to meet a man named Kris. Cooper feels embraced and free after Kris kisses him.

Thoughts
The end of Chapter 18 was very shocking since I had not imagined things to turn out like that. I had this fixed image that Cooper had a crush on another girl and that was why she broke up on Keely. It did seem a little weird that not a word was mentioned on who his crush was. I felt almost disappointed in myself on how shocked I was because a gay relationship is very common these days and he must have been struggling with things he could not really talk to others about. Just like I learned a lesson from Bronwyn, Cooper allowed me to rethink the fixed images I have on society in general and be more open to people's uniqueness. Cooper as a character had made me want to have a more mature and knowledgable way of thinking and even made me want to improve as a person which I did not think was possible from a single character of a book.

What I had realized by reading this book is that these characters and plots may not exactly be relatable but there is a lot we can learn and take out of it. This book has taught me quite a few new vocabulary that I can now apply to my writings. I was aware that the book helped me improved this skill. Writing these blogs and writing down my thoughts in words/sentences allowed me to learn from deeper aspects of this novel to the point I became aware of the close-minded and lack of knowledge I have. I was surprised by the deep analysis I was able to do of myself just from a single novel but was also shocked by the effectiveness of these blogs and how lifechanging it can be to write my thoughts about a book.

Comments

Popular Posts