Writing My Academic Critical Book Review

It had been a while since I wrote a long essay so there were a few difficulties and elements that I reminded myself of from last school year. I looked back on my old blogs and skimmed through them making sure I had applied the information provided to us on the basics of essay writing and how to improve them, also what I personally had difficulties with last year. One of the largest improvements/adaptions I had made was using Zotero religiously even if I did not think I would use that source just yet. I was constantly writing notes on Zotero and making sure I did not leave any resources out. Last year, since we were introduced to Zotero a little later in the school term I had to go back and open every website to see which line I used and it was unorganized. However, this year there was no need to go scrolling back in my history and it prevented me from leaving out any websites I needed to give reference to. There were not as many sources as my academic essay since it was opinion-based, but I think I am now fully comfortable with the app, in-text citations, and references!

I contemplated my academic essay to see if there were any parts I forgot to apply in my book review. I figured the basics were the same and other than reading my old blogs, examining the actual essay would be effective. I was reminded about the basics such as how to write a title, having a topic and conclusion sentence for each paragraph and most importantly the very much emphasized thesis statement. I recalled some of the crucial elements only after writing the book review so it took a little time to devise how to make those changes and fix them but for a draft, I think I did what I could. Since we were writing a book review, it required a paragraph dedicated to describing the overall plot and summary of the book. I was not sure how to create a clear topic and conclusion sentence to the 'summary' paragraph. Another question I had was whether personal pronouns were countenanced in critical book reviews. I thought that since personal opinions were required it would be appropriate to use pronouns such as "I" and "they". 

I was not quite able to write all my transitions to the next paragraphs, improve the vocabulary usage and make sure that all the reasonings were persuasive so I plan on making those changes after receiving some advice from Mr.Paterson.


Comments

Popular Posts