CRAP presentations (July. 23rd)
Today in class the teacher was mainly talking to students who are new to this course and explaining all the key features in a presentation and what the teacher expects of us. I was sitting relatively close to the new students so I could hear what Mr.Paterson was saying and it as a good reminder for me as well. I overheard keywords such as dopamine, body gestures, CRAP, and eye contact. When I was practicing my presentations a week ago, I thought I had been doing it right but thinking back on it now, I feel like I wasn't enthusiastic enough to really engage and entertain the audience. I need to especially recreate and think out my first and last slides so my audience will remember my most important message. One of the new students asked the teacher why bullet points are so bad. I was always told to only write a minimum amount of words on each slide and was quite convinced so never question this method. However, when the teacher answered the student talking about how humans have a tendency to remember things visually, and that way the memory lasts longer, I was even more convinced. I probably have a maximum of 3 words on one slide but I am going to work on making it more visual and appealing to the eye.
Talking about visuality then made me reflect on the repetition in the slides, one of the four key points in CRAP. My friend had repetitively used the same background throughout her presentation that was very much related to the content of the book. So I decided that in slides where I need a background, I am going to fill in the space using lined paper because my book takes place at a school and the protagonists are students. Doing so made my presentation a lot more pulled together overall and not only the content and speech part of the presentation, but the slides will enhance in depicting the book.
Towards the beginning of class, Mr.Paterson introduced a website called photo scissors. Coincidentally, my presentation did not need any cropping of pictures but I was really astonished by how convenient the website was. I had always used the app 'preview' on my mac laptop to erase the background or crop pictures but it was extremely inefficient and hard to control. My friend sitting next to me was using photo scissors and it looked very easy and I was so surprised it was free for anyone to sue so without a doubt I will be using it in the near future.
notes:
photo scissors
Talking about visuality then made me reflect on the repetition in the slides, one of the four key points in CRAP. My friend had repetitively used the same background throughout her presentation that was very much related to the content of the book. So I decided that in slides where I need a background, I am going to fill in the space using lined paper because my book takes place at a school and the protagonists are students. Doing so made my presentation a lot more pulled together overall and not only the content and speech part of the presentation, but the slides will enhance in depicting the book.
Towards the beginning of class, Mr.Paterson introduced a website called photo scissors. Coincidentally, my presentation did not need any cropping of pictures but I was really astonished by how convenient the website was. I had always used the app 'preview' on my mac laptop to erase the background or crop pictures but it was extremely inefficient and hard to control. My friend sitting next to me was using photo scissors and it looked very easy and I was so surprised it was free for anyone to sue so without a doubt I will be using it in the near future.
notes:
photo scissors
Comments
Post a Comment