First class back! Presentation guidelines (Jun. 2nd)

It was so great seeing many classmates in class today, after such a long break. I had started making my presentation based on my book review but there were several questions I had shortly after I started to create a new presentation. I was not sure what my three main points should be about, but what I had in mind was similar to the guidelines Mr.Paterson had given us. I was mainly curious about whether or not to include negative critiques like the book review. I was worried that listeners would hear only the negative points and just zoom out while I talk about the positive critiques which would be undesirable. However, hearing the teacher's guidelines for a successful and persuasive presentation convinced me to include both the negative and positive aspects of the book. I've made a few slides but, hearing that the time we may have is from 4-7 minutes really surprised me, and I think I need to make it shorter already. In my presentation, I had used some pictures of the movie based on the book, but after Mr.Paterson advising people to do so, I figured I need to research more about the movie and several other details about the book. Although I may not be able to speak it, I believe this knowledge will allow me to better and clearer depict the story to my audience.

I learned about the presentation style "Pechakucha" approximately 4 years ago and had tried it out once. However, since it was so long ago, I had forgotten a lot about the methods. What I do remember though, is that it took lots of practice to perfect the timing. My presentation was a success and it was honestly pretty good, but this time around I am going to be extensive and really try my best to create an interesting and engaging presentation. I was a little overwhelmed to hear the many styles of presentations invented across the world and did not know there was such a wide variety of them. I hope that one day, I will be able to find the best presentation style according to the topic or message I am trying to convey. I seriously enjoyed this book and I hope my presentation will make my audience penetrate why I recommend this book so much. What I realized today is that, in order to do so(communicate across how good the book is), the 'one last thing' slide will be extra important and a cardinal factor of convincing audience.

Looking forward to a splendid school year and also to creating an improved presentation from last year!

Notes:
Presentation guidelines for a book review

-title slide
-outline slide (three photos along with text)
within the three sections, if using three slides, the first and last should be the most important points
1)about the writer, what was happening in the world, their experience, bias
2)summary
3)critique(start with bad(at the beginning) and then good) the two bigger positives points
several slides dedicated to each section of the outline
-summary(of presentation) in three parts with three photos and three subheadings
(most important part of data within the author, summary, and critique)
author: most important point summary: most important part of the book critique: a positive point
-conclusion(of presentation) this is a great book... who it is good for.. people who read mystery YA religiously might not enjoy
-references(list the book itself, if there are several versions)
-photo credits
-Q&A
-one last thing
-thank you slide

how to adjust to situations and correspond to coronavirus:
if we only have a very short amount of time, extracting down the three slides to two would be best.
in total 14/17/20 (4-7mins)
if we have to omit the body expression and gestures, we have to emphasize our voice and possibly facial expressions.

Different styles of presentations
①Pechakucha(invented in Japan, Roppongi)
20 (slides)x20(secs) total of 6m 40secs
②Ignite presentation
15x15  (32 people in 2 hours)
③Lightning style presentation (only covers one thing)
2-3 mins
④Elevator talk (1 min)

Comments

Popular Posts