Writing tools (Jun 25th)

Today in class Mr.Paterson talked about writing tools to help improve our book reports. In previous essays, I had used the academic world list religiously but I had somehow forgotten about it for this book review so I was glad and grateful to be reminded of it. My academic world list was higher than what the teacher had expected of us, but vocabulary usage is something I had been conscious of for the past few weeks so I was hoping for a higher percentage. My readability was over 14 but the paper rater did not reach 'A' which was a little disappointing. I kept working on raising my vocabulary percentage and as I did, my readability went higher as well which was a plus. I found paper rater incredibly helpful because it gave me advice like no other and I did not even realize computers could do such a thing. It helped me realize two major bad tendencies I had in literature that I did not know about until today. One of them being repetitive sentence starters and the other being too many passive sentences. In all three languages that I speak, I've realized my sentences are too wordy which leads to passive sentences. However, finding the specific part that was passive and changing it was a hardship I had for the past few years. Now that I've officially been introduced to this website I plan on using it in every piece of literature I write and slowly improve my bad habits.


Something that I have been aware of after using several digital writing tools is the importance of sentence length variety. Many websites -- data regarding sentence length and whether too many of the sentences are either long or short. Differentiating the length of the sentences made my readability go tremendously higher which really helped me realize how immensely this can change the literature level even if it may not be something readers are conscious of. This time last year when I was first introduced to these websites I remember being flabbergasted and I truly thought it was revolutionary. Little by little as I discover even more tools throughout Mr.Paterson's class I am experiencing and comprehending the burgeoning field of online literature and technology in general. I was so astonished to the point I was thinking so deeply about why experts give away such useful and effective information for free to every user in the world. Honestly, at the beginning of class when Mr.Paterson was nonstop introducing all these features of all these websites, I felt overwhelmed. I could not keep up with the overload of information. All I could do was little by little check all the scores provided on my writing and fix them. It was a long process and I am still working on it, but a part of me is now working towards a better score for my own satisfaction. Usually, I am not the kind of person who relies on only data and numbers but in this situation, I think this is a decent way to escalate my skill and motivation. I am enjoying my increasing numbers, scores, and feeling content by visually seeing my literature improve.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts