Last Class Before Turning In Book Review(Jul. 9th)
In class, we were told that the due date of our book review was Friday. I've been reading it over and over almost every single day for the past month so I was somewhat ready. I had only submitted my book review once into Turnitin, so during class, I fiddled with a few vocabulary choices and reuploaded. Since the last time I uploaded it to Turnitin, I fixed the few spots that the website picked up. Most of which were run-ons. I had always been aware that my writing was pretty wordy and could get kind of long, but run-ons were never an aspect I had given much attention to. When I read the areas Turnitin had pointed out, I was convinced and admitted that these were real run-ons I needed to fix. It was strange to have this realization because I had read the book review so many times but never noticed. From this, I learned that when I am re-reading my own writing, I need to try to read from a perspective that is not myself. This way, it may help me realize an incorrect sentence that probably only make sense to myself.
The first time I submitted my book review, the book title "One Of Us Is Lying" was pulled up as incorrect. That was somewhat understandable because it may be a phrase that may not usually be used in essays. However, when I resubmitted it for the second time, several phrases were picked up as plagiarism even though they were in my own words. Things such as, "... written by Karen McManus" and "... is a New York Times Bestseller" etc... I am aware that these may be phrases repeated in multiple websites. I did not expect Turnitin to be completely perfect and not have any technical issues and not have any flaws because that would be quite difficult. In fact, the website picking up phrases like this as plagiarism is not wrong at all. Notwithstanding the many features that are perfected, I hope that one day, someone is able to solve this problem so that an accurate percentage is calculated after submission. My friends and I were also talking about our references section being identified as plagiarism due to the consecutive words copied right from the URL. At first, I was kind of disappointed and complaining about this, but, thinking back on it, Turnitin picking up these phrases is not a mistake at all. In fact, Mr.Paterson even reassured us that he will be going through to check the book review itself and not completely rely on all the numbers from online websites. This made me feel better because I actually thought the AWL number also is not 100% agreeable. I personally think that there are numerous words that are not professional in the AWL word list and, words that are probably more professional used in my essay not being picked up should be fixed. However, after all, what matters is what my teacher thinks so I decided not to be too concise and strict on the numbers given through online websites.
The first time I submitted my book review, the book title "One Of Us Is Lying" was pulled up as incorrect. That was somewhat understandable because it may be a phrase that may not usually be used in essays. However, when I resubmitted it for the second time, several phrases were picked up as plagiarism even though they were in my own words. Things such as, "... written by Karen McManus" and "... is a New York Times Bestseller" etc... I am aware that these may be phrases repeated in multiple websites. I did not expect Turnitin to be completely perfect and not have any technical issues and not have any flaws because that would be quite difficult. In fact, the website picking up phrases like this as plagiarism is not wrong at all. Notwithstanding the many features that are perfected, I hope that one day, someone is able to solve this problem so that an accurate percentage is calculated after submission. My friends and I were also talking about our references section being identified as plagiarism due to the consecutive words copied right from the URL. At first, I was kind of disappointed and complaining about this, but, thinking back on it, Turnitin picking up these phrases is not a mistake at all. In fact, Mr.Paterson even reassured us that he will be going through to check the book review itself and not completely rely on all the numbers from online websites. This made me feel better because I actually thought the AWL number also is not 100% agreeable. I personally think that there are numerous words that are not professional in the AWL word list and, words that are probably more professional used in my essay not being picked up should be fixed. However, after all, what matters is what my teacher thinks so I decided not to be too concise and strict on the numbers given through online websites.
Comments
Post a Comment