Turnitin (Jul. 7th)
In my previous blog post, I wrote about how curious I was about computer websites detecting plagiarism in my writing. Today, we were introduced to another website called 'Turnitin'. I've heard of this website multiple times and have seen people around me use it. During my experience abroad, I've come to realize how strongly emphasized plagiarism is. It was great seeing there is such a superb website that meets all the expectations of schools across the world. Mr.Paterson showed us an example of one of our classmates which made me understand how the website detects plagiarism. However, I was absolutely surprised by how Turnitin can also find out if students have copied each other's work. Mr.Paterson talked about the history behind all of this and why such websites are necessary. When I heard that people use to sell their papers I was so disappointed and shocked. Whether selling those papers is the sake for your friend or they are selling because their household has financial difficulties, this is not acceptable. I think it is the absolute worst thing to do educational wise and absolutely no improvement will be made by such cruelty. Turnitin has now become such a huge website tremendously popular among so many students and teachers which is so great because this can surely enhance academic honesty in schools.
Unlike previous websites we were introduced to, Turnitin really has constructed a curriculum that suits all teachers and students. I think it is so great teachers have the choice to choose whether or not they want to exclude a few features. Depending on the task given, some teaches may want to hind a few features which are understandable. However, this time around, I am so grateful for Mr.Paterson allowing us to explore and utilize the website to its fullest. With this website, I think all of our essays will continuously improve to an extent I would never have imagined. In other websites such as Paperrater, my readability was over 14 and in WordCounter I was assigned the reading level of a college student which is probably from the continuous improvement all these websites have helped me do. Since we've been introduced to so many websites and convenient tools, developing the skill to use each of them to match the needs of my literature is so crucial. There are a few websites that have overlapping features but they all have its pros and cons so being able to bring out the best of each website is a skill I'd like to develop in the process of revamping my book review. This is undoubtedly a skill that I will not regret gaining and will probably become even more important in years to come when high-level literature is expected of me, and as technology develops nonstop.
Interestingly enough, my book report had 0% plagiarism which I was very satisfied and happy about. I had put in the effort to display my personal literature style and was really careful about how I worded my sentences. So I think in the process of doing so, I was able to keep out any type of plagiarism. However, I did not know that three consecutive words from another source needed quotation marks. I never knew the specific and detailed explanation to the border of plagiarism so it was very good to know. I am sure that I wrote references for any information taken from other websites, but I am not certain that there are not three consecutive words that are not in quotation marks so that is what I will be checking on next. Recalling the beginning of class, Mr.Paterson was talking about how he is absolutely new to Turnitin but he feels the urge for teachers to persistently be challenging new forms of education and create as many opportunities of improvement for students. I seriously agreed to what he had to say about this. It is so understandable that teachers do not want to be out of control and try things with the students they are not familiar with. Notwithstanding the risks it may have, I think it will definitely help students and if teachers explain to us they are still new to it as well, students will surely be understanding, or rather grateful for the teacher taking on new challenges for them.
Unlike previous websites we were introduced to, Turnitin really has constructed a curriculum that suits all teachers and students. I think it is so great teachers have the choice to choose whether or not they want to exclude a few features. Depending on the task given, some teaches may want to hind a few features which are understandable. However, this time around, I am so grateful for Mr.Paterson allowing us to explore and utilize the website to its fullest. With this website, I think all of our essays will continuously improve to an extent I would never have imagined. In other websites such as Paperrater, my readability was over 14 and in WordCounter I was assigned the reading level of a college student which is probably from the continuous improvement all these websites have helped me do. Since we've been introduced to so many websites and convenient tools, developing the skill to use each of them to match the needs of my literature is so crucial. There are a few websites that have overlapping features but they all have its pros and cons so being able to bring out the best of each website is a skill I'd like to develop in the process of revamping my book review. This is undoubtedly a skill that I will not regret gaining and will probably become even more important in years to come when high-level literature is expected of me, and as technology develops nonstop.
Interestingly enough, my book report had 0% plagiarism which I was very satisfied and happy about. I had put in the effort to display my personal literature style and was really careful about how I worded my sentences. So I think in the process of doing so, I was able to keep out any type of plagiarism. However, I did not know that three consecutive words from another source needed quotation marks. I never knew the specific and detailed explanation to the border of plagiarism so it was very good to know. I am sure that I wrote references for any information taken from other websites, but I am not certain that there are not three consecutive words that are not in quotation marks so that is what I will be checking on next. Recalling the beginning of class, Mr.Paterson was talking about how he is absolutely new to Turnitin but he feels the urge for teachers to persistently be challenging new forms of education and create as many opportunities of improvement for students. I seriously agreed to what he had to say about this. It is so understandable that teachers do not want to be out of control and try things with the students they are not familiar with. Notwithstanding the risks it may have, I think it will definitely help students and if teachers explain to us they are still new to it as well, students will surely be understanding, or rather grateful for the teacher taking on new challenges for them.
Comments
Post a Comment