WEEK THREE-2. The Hate U Give
Chapter 11
Starr arrives at school and everyone is fussing about a text sent by Hailey's (Starr's best friend) brother. He plans to protest for Khalil as an excuse to not take a test. Starr feels furious when people in the corridor are chanting "Justice for Khalil", knowing their real purposes. Her boyfriend Chris, stays with her in the first period and asks if she knew Khalil. She'd been trying to hide it from him, but at last, Starr admits she did. After school, the three siblings head to their father's store. Outside the window, the kids see reporters interviewing Mr.Lewis. He goes on to talk about King Lord and names that King is their leader. Such affirmation could put him in serious danger of retaliation from King.
Maverick storms out to ask why he would say such risky things to a camera that will be broadcasted to the world. As the two argue and intervene, the police come up to Maverick and check his ID. As soon as they figure out he is Starr's father they immediately pin him down to the ground. His three kids are trembling to see him lay so out of power with doing absolutely nothing. The neighbors comment that Maverick being treated that way is because they know Starr was a witness that night when Khalil was murdered. She is shaken to figure out people know she was the one. Kenya claims that Starr has the responsibility to speak up and use her voice in return to Khalil who has lost him already.
Thoughts
The reason the students are protesting at school is so stupid. Superficial, ludicrous, and absolute nonsense. Moreover, the fact that her closest friends ditched her to take advantage of a tragedy regarding someone's death was inconceivable. Whilst the majority of students went out to protest, the very few that stayed at school were so responsible, respectful, but probably only portraying what SHOULD be the norm.
I was trembling when the officer forced Maverick to lay flat on the floor. The depicted picture gave me flashbacks of both Khalil and George Floyd. I had assumed the next thing they would do was take out their guns and shoot. However, luckily that wasn't the case this time around.
While this fuss was happening, out of the many watching, Maverick's youngest son Sekani had his eyes glued on his dad. Sekani is still so young, not even at a double-digit age, yet he had to witness such cruelty and disgusting human behavior.
The most shocking part of it all is that this fuss started with Maverick and his friend slightly arguing. His friend even told the officers it was no more than a little heated conversation. I really can't wrap my head around believing these people are human and this is actually happening in the world, way too many times a day. I do not think I am the only one who feels this way and there is an urge for the social construct to change.
Scrolling through Instagram last year, hearing the voices of black people and listening to what they say was an imperative part of grasping how they feel. I think if Starr spoke up about the issue, undoubtedly people would listen and many would stop calling Khalil a 'thug'. However, her not wanting to speak about the issue is so understandable as well, because no one knows what would happen to her, the insane criticism attacking her, and everything she would lose.
I read a few websites that wrote a summary about this summary, after reading the book for myself. Personally, Maverick being pinned down onto the floor was the most shocking and I was at loss for words. I was so tempted to flip the page and see what occurred next, but at the same time, I could not move. Notwithstanding the revelation that provoked copious feelings in me, many websites summed that part of the story so briefly and treating it as if it was nothing.
Chapter 12
Lisa (Starr's mom) accompanies Starr to the headquarters of Justice For Us to have a conversation with one of the staff members that they talked to at Khalil's funeral. Although she resolved that she is going to be the voice of Khalil, she fears not being able to answer the District Attorney's questions. Ms.Ofrah, the staff member they talked to brought her the information that the so-called 'gun' One-Fifteen had seen only turned out to be a hairbrush. It hit Starr, finding out that Khalil was shot because of a hairbrush.
After confronting Ms.Ofrah about previously losing Natasha, another good friend of hers. Khalil and Natasha both mattered to her, so she proclaims her voice matters now. They plan on getting an anonymous interview with Starr. As they go on with their conversation, Maverick receives an emergent call from DeVante.
Thoughts
What set fire to Starr's eagerness to inform the world her side of the story, was hearing that One-Fifteen's (the police officer who murdered Khalil) father was going on TV soon. Until then she would've never wanted to do such a thing. 7-8 months ago, I saw and read about multitudinous black people using their voices to speak their horrid experiences and marginalizations. After reading this chapter, I realized a lot of strength, fear, and bravery is needed to even share their story. So I figure it must've been hard for those advocating on social media as well.
Logically thinking, justice is undoubtedly needed for Khalil if the police officer had only mistaken a hairbrush for a gun. There should be absolutely none supporters for such police officers of low service.
Chapter 13
DeVante, a young boy that Maverick decided to keep at their house, confessed he stole money from the Kings to buy bus tickets for their family. The Kings should be after him.
Invigorated as he is, Maverick brings DeVante to Uncle Carlos's home so he can stay with them. Surprisingly, Uncle Carlos is a home with a bruised fist. As he is Starr's second father, she asks what happened but doesn't get an answer.
Coincidentally, Chris arrives at the house and Starr believes before speaking up about Khalil, she needs to be brave enough to tell her dad she is dating a white guy. Chris doesn't comprehend a single bit about the argument Starr's parents are having, but she retorts that he had a conversation with his parents as well. On top of that, Starr's parents' argument escalates as Lisa objects that she prefers a safer home for the family.
At Uncle Carlos's Devante suddenly says that Khalil constantly talked about her. How she was the coolest person he had ever met. DeVante also reveals that Khalil actually wasn't a part of the 'Lord King', and even though King tried to recruit him, Khalil denied the invitation. The two knew each other because they both sold drugs for King who awarded them with abundant money to have a living with their family. DeVante explains that no one wants to sell drugs but economic wise, it is not their choice anymore.
As much information inundated Starr, she loses grasp of what is real, and all she knows is that she is lucky to not have to make such tough decisions in her life.
Thoughts
Halfway into the book, a concept I still do not understand is everything regarding the 'Kings'. Apparently, it is a group of evil and iniquitous people that serve great danger to innocent people. I wonder if it is just something in their neighborhood or something common throughout the States.
Regardless, I love how DeVante and Starr's friendship is slowly starting to ameliorate and the two are starting to bond. I feel like Starr is learning so much about Khalil even after he has already passed away. It must be a lot to take in, and even though I am not the one who is experiencing it all, I feel overloaded as well. One thing I can say is, I regret the smallest part of me that slightly thought DeVante was an adverse person even though he was only doing these things because he had no choice. I could really feel the outcry of compassion they had about the hardships they were experiencing.
Comments
Post a Comment