Team Website Advice (Feb. 2nd)

    Today my computer was at 16% battery at the top of class which was devastating. I kept asking myself how could it have not been charged even though I literally plugged it in before falling asleep yesterdays. Anyways, from struggling to only work on my phone, I learned how convenient it is to utilize both at the same time (which is what I am constantly doing). On the computer I have two windows open side by side, and sometimes another website or page displayed on my phone. However, with just my phone, the process of writing the essay comparing reading for pleasure and academically, was hindered. I needed to read my blogs, my notes I took leading up to this essay and the actual Google Doc I was documenting on. However, I was only able to open one which was troublesome. Now that was just me going off on a slight tangent. 

    My fellow team members and I received advice on our website. Despite my low battery percentage, I was able to jot down everything area of amelioration he suggested. First things first, our top page. Mr.Paterson commented that all the content was there, but there were two small areas that needed to be edited. First one being the book title of Kosei's book out of sync in comparison to the others. This was not something I merely wouldn't have thought of. Kosei's book title is much longer than mine and Sayo's, plus, it was not something I had even paid the slightest attention to. Moving on, he pointed out that our hyperlinks were underlined, which is really bothersome for dyslexic people. My two favourite piece of information I've received from Mr.Paterson is regarding the psychological aspects of a presentation (spiking up the dopamine...) and considering accessibility when fabricating any type of work for other people. To make a non-persuading excuse, I had been mindful of avoiding underlines in my own page but had totally forgot about it for the home page. 

    Subsequent to a few minor areas of fixing, Mr.Paterson gave us detailed comments on our individual sections. He mentioned that content wise, all of our pages were good and the three were all in matching formats. However, one big alternation he asked us to do was creating drop down links to sub pages, instead of one long page brimming with information. His supporting reason for this was the convenience for smartphone users. I was astonished when I had heard those words. I was so focused and occupied in creating decent content and abundant information. However, he had overtopped that and went on about usability. Despite how amazed and surprised I was, it made a lot of sense to me and per usual, easily convinced. Not only is Mr.Paterson constantly thoughtful of accessibility, but also, he is acquainted with different device users. As technology rapidly develops and as education steps into these burgeoning field of technology this is something I have to keep in mind as well! A very significant and relevant lesson learned! 

    I have now fixed all the suggested approaches and once all three of us have done so, I hope our website will have become an escalated and higher-level one. When presenting at OkiJALT I scrolled through plethora website of my classmates' and saw Aya linking  her blogposts on the book. So I am now contemplating on whether to do that as well... Probably should though, and go the full nine-yards if I've already devoted much time into this project. 

Notes (other comments not included in the essay): 

  • videos can be the full width as well
  • if the page is differentiated, the disparate sizes and widths are less likely to be noticed.
  • academic essay- full-size length. 
  • make the drop-down all in the same order! 
  • contemplating on whether to link my blog 

Comments

Popular Posts