Access (May. 6th)

Women rights, equity, inclusions are all things I am passionate and zealous about, but how women were omitted in media platforms and that field in general was something I had never probed into. First, I was surprised that America had a somewhat similar system to Japan regarding who enters the press conference rooms. However, now that I am able to think critically about the system, only enlites being able to access this room is impractical and injudicious. At first, I thought that having rules to restrict the number of people is necessary and the media will not be able to operate without such mandates, but not anymore. The story Rab elucidated was only what happened a few decades ago. Woman doing sexually discriminatory things in the house holds and only one woman in the media room was flabbergasting. This woman had never come to my attention but the respect she earned throughout the years, alongside the professional privileges, the ability to give constructive criticism and ask relatively tough questions was so inspiring. As a girl, anytime I hear stories like such, I feel galvanized. So after that inspiring story, the shocking reality of George W Bush hit me like no other. Hearing about his stupidity and rumours of winning in a disputed way straight away had me thinking about America’s former president, Trump. Just another example of history repeating itself. At this point I started to hold interest in how and why american politics operates in this way. Moreover, Bush hiring a black-mail material "journalist" to throw softball questions in order to omit an intelligent lady sounds so queer. Taking such obvious measures in front of a huge audience (more or so the entirety of America) was nonsense to me. 

Example after example of both american and Japanese media was starting to make me feel overhwelmed. I genuinely was so petrified by what we are being bombarded with on a daily basis, and at one point of the lecture, I wanted to just stop reading any news outlets and take my eyes off the dirty reality. Notwithstanding, I was unable to neglect my interest for acquiring knowledge of the world and its importance. In what I have heard and now come to believe, the vast majority of the media is manipulated right under the hands of billionaires. Although there were ample disruptive truths introduced in today’s class, I discovered that there are good people in society that showcase "proper" news, and so I think reading disproportionate media could be omitted depending on our decisions. 

During today's class my mind became an accumulation of multiple unanswered questions. First one being, in which occasions are bullet points allowed in Rab's presentation?. I was always in strong agreeance of avoiding bullet points in a presentation slide. Nonetheless, there are certain times that long sentences just work better to clarify the meaning of something. I was just curious of where the line is drawn with bulletpoints on a slide. Another thing I felt uncertainty against was how biased Japanese media is. In class, we have focused a lot on media from countries abroad. Moreover, having experience of residing in China, I am aware that in some areas of the world, media restrictions are incredibly strict. However, that is a well-known fact in China and something they are not really concealing. I am very unsure and worried about how restricted or manipulated Japanese media is. However, I do believe this is where our multilingual skills come in, or English abilities will hold a meaning and augment our knowledge/perspective of the world. Just like Rab said, Japan's flaws will not be seen in Japanese newspapers so I have decided to do some research about Chinese newspaper outlets that all about Japan. 

Notes: 

only woman - ladies first

old, respected, high, every single presidential press, professional special privileges, relatively tough question

George W Bush. 1965 Vietnam war, every young man had a chance of being sent to war. those flying jets score more than 98% . coveted positions, failed the medical test, very checkered history and he is aware of that. the woman started asking difficult questions. moved her to the back of the conference, breaking a tradition that went back to JFK. losing access

softball questions- week after week asked easy questions. blackmail material, no media credentials, entry-level journalist right win media who supported Bush, so he would ask softball questions

Phil Donahue was one of the most famous Hollywood talk show hosts

in the run up of the 2003 Iraq war. he interviewed both sides of the argument and NBC (owned by GE make missiles, guns, tanks making replacements if broken in a war) fired him. 

ideology aspect that people who are for the war is on TV. media watchdog organizations. 

things they cannot prove is a lie. they did not even mention this movie in a , it is long winded but It shows something that the people of the right win (threat of flak, not many cinemas broadcasted it)

horrified and started investigating. she got death threats. AP(associated press) - wire agency, got their own journalists and sell their stories to TVs and other platforms

distort the results of deaths. why does it need to be reported in this way. disproportionately shown. children's death, inversion of reality, completely wrong way around. journalists they send, the children is in the Israeli army. egregious. omitted, never sends neutral people. 

an empirical study of real American media. lies that people are bombarded. 

  • I understand they were made a long time ago, why are there bullet points on his presentation, there are times I want to use them as well. 
  • i thought Japanese was not so biased or restricted. china was openly restricted.
  • America is a religious country. religiosity.
  • America has a built-in biased, but japan needs middle-east oil but has a good relationship with America 
  • England- France, japan-china, America-china, 

so corrupted so controlled by elites.  go outside to look at things from a different perspective to find the flaws of Japan(English outlets) 

Comments

  1. Good point about the bullet points. Initially you were looking at a pdf handout I made for after a presentation rather than the actual slides from during a presentation. And in the few Keynote slidies you saw there was some text as I was pressured by my dept at the time to add that - that was a long time ago and before I just learned to say NO and be able to back my NO up with evidence for why I was refusing to add so much text. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts