Vague Headlines (May 12th)

As a continuation of yesterday's class, Twitter was introduced as a very effective media source for projecting the reality of what is happening in Islam and Palestine. Many of the videos Rab showcased in today's class was from Twitter, which really stimulated me to start utilizing Twitter as a source to gather unfiltered information. Palestinians being displaced and the Jewish neighborhood being transformed into a Jewish neighborhood was shocking in itself. Personally what was astonishing was how the government called it "ethnic cleansing" and believes that is for the better of the country. I still do not acquire enough information to understand the true objective of the government but as a typical citizen, I thought the government exists to save people's lives, not destroying them. Through the past few lessons, I've truly comprehended that big companies and publishers have a tight relationship with governments across the world, and it is almost impossible to tell an unbiased/true story. Yesterday, when I was scrolling through my social media, I saw my friends and senpais reposting about what is happening in Islam. There are abundant people who are aware and care to spread the word, so as long as I stay alerted and be willing to accumulate information, this generation has a lot to offer. 

Rab's demonstration of stealing a student's laptop seemed exaggerative and extreme. It was one of the first things he showed in today's class and on top of that, making students move seats was peculiar. Notwithstanding, reading through news articles (written by the news companies I had always loved) had me in great shock. Articles were unmistakably omitting particular parts to suit the publishers' fancy, and there was no context of what happened beforehand. Other than the major incident itself, Palestinians not having the right to live in an area they lived in prior to the war was just unthinkable. Their residential conditions being unsanitary, and having to experience abandonment by the entire world is inconceivable. Moreover, these shocking facts not being spread in society and none of it penetrating through in newspaper headlines is devastating. Deliberately making headlines vague and the title only being an accumulation of information-less words is a representation of how the system/media functions. I realized that the articles in the newspaper absolutely omitted stories of children's death. My analysis was that children are very vulnerable, and mentioning their deaths in articles will escalate the worlds loathe towards the jews. Baring in mind, the death of innocent adults was not accentuated either. Only a few days ago, I had no idea of what was happening in Islam. 

Notes:

"contested Jerusalem" no contest whatsoever, no legal confirmation. American media is writing it as if it is contested. Islam says they own Jerusalem, 

clash- two equally powerful fights. 

it still is portrayed as Palestinians being injured but it is not as bad as reality. 

Comments

Popular Posts