Chevron and Union Carbide (June 1st)

    Due to Thursday's class being canceled, today's class was an irregular one. In the beginning, Mr.Paterson explained that although each student takes the same lecture, what they comprehend, interpret and write on their blogs is totally different. I was surprised someone wrote about Yokohama, but the point was perceptions differ based on the student. Anyways, in today's class two of my classmates elucidated on Steven Donziger, someone I had never even heard of. They passionately explained the connections between Chevron and the media, the effects on indigenous people, and the state Steven Donziger is currently in. Unfortunately, it was not a surprise that the media did not tell the truth. However, the way they depicted Donziger was a lot more extreme than the cases we handled prior to this class. One of the students informed me that few small companies denounced the truth, but those articles were buried deep down in the search engine. Primitively, I thought that Mr.Paterson's objective was for students to teach other students, so both sides can augment their knowledge on the topic. However, he insisted we do activity after activity, and each required a different skill set. For example asking concept-check questions, speaking in an effective order, and not neglect seeking more answers. This experiential-based education was very effective because they were talking to me personally, so it was more like an inclusive conversation, rather than a lecture. The information may not have been as diverse and large in quantity(in comparison to Mr.Paterson) but it is drilled into my memory. 

When Mr.Paterson told the story about Union Carbide, I was overwhelmed. I think it is needless to say that factories handling hazardous objects need high safety standards. The thought of moving their factory to locations cheaper is still marginally understandable, but lowering them so employer's basic human rights are violated, is inhumane. Companies as large as Chevron and Union Carbide may have the ability to bribe the judges and ditch poor people, but when people's lives are at risk, it was unacceptable. To say the least, this large industrial accident did not reach the eyes of many, globally, but I wonder if it is an infamous incident in India. The articles I read (UK-owned platforms), were pretty neutral or rather exposing the Union Carbide's faults. Notwithstanding, my anger was not quite soothed. Survivors in Bhopal are still fighting for adequate compensation, proper medical treatment, and are still experiencing excruciating pain to this day, 36 years later. Not to compare, but circumstances are even worse than one of Japan's most famous industrial accidents, Minamata disease. Yet it is undiscussed on the media, nor are advocates' voices being heard. Out of curioristy, I researched from a plethora of standing points. For example, U.S. newspapers, U.K. companies, Japanese articles, Indian news, and lastly Union Carbide's website. The Unions Carbide Corporation is apparently scurrying to provide medical equipment and supplies. I did not anticipate the company to be admitting the ailments caused by the toxic leak. However, if someone with no prior knowledge read the website, they would not even doubt or criticize UC, due to the way it was written. Furthermore, this huge event was written so small, encompassed by a long list of other events on a long timeline. 

To summarize, I am yet again am at a loss for words, seeing the reality confronted before my eyes, and witnessing how easily things can be airbrushed in contemporary society. The selfishness of major companies are being is disgusting and deplorable. I thought wealthy executives at the top of super companies are intelligent and well-educated people. Hearing that the current court case are corrupt is just devastating. The only light in today's class was hearing there are passionate, rational, and intelligent people who are working hard to acquire justice. Today's topic (about Steven Donziger) was closely related to environmental issues, a field I am very much interested in, so I'd like to do some more research and see other people's reactions online, and be a responsible contributor to society.  

How have the subordinates of UC and Chevron reacted to these cases manipulated by executives? 

Notes: 
be cautious about the world "like"
affects indigenous people, soil, and water
he saved the land.
the news article portrayed Steven Donziger as a bad guy
all these articles are exposing the truth 30 years later. Would people be interested in a article, when the headline is talking about something that happened over 3 decades ago? 

Comments

Popular Posts