Comparing Traditional and Alternative Media (June 2nd)

For the past fifteen years, the information I accumulated was half from social media and half from the mainstream. However, for the vast majority of my life, I was forewarned by adults that social media influence the hostile media effect and create bad conditions. Only recently have perceptions started to change but,  generations above myself, say the information is not plausible. This could be applicable in some situations but definitely not all. The websites Mr.Paterson introduced today, were all ones I had never even heard of. Notwithstanding, they were significantly different compared to traditional newspaper articles. 

One shocking article my group found was one by The Washington Post, absolutely denying Mondoweiss and commenting it was too exaggerated. It said that only people who want to know the far-left anti-Israel party line should be accessing it. The writer of this article and his deliberate words were so over the top. He describes the founder of Mondoweiss (Philip Weiss) as morbidly interesting and wrote that Mondoweiss is a result of Weiss suffocating and infuriating about his Jewish background.  The Washington Post journalist said that he regularly spots Mondoweiss's articles on his Facebook feed through his "more left-wing friends". The way he disdained Palestinian journalists as inferior rabbles, and even his friends speaking up about social issues is almost embarrassing. He even claimed that whenever some small, irrelevant event happened in Palestine, it would be publicized on Mondoweiss. However, in my opinion, I think that statement fits the mainstream more than it fits minor, yet righteous websites. The incidents that are referenced in Mondoweiss discuss people's lives being taken away by huge bombardments, substantial pieces of land being burnt down, and the traumatizing experiences are narrated from those who are actually on the frontline. On the other hand, one traditional media source wrote an entire article just about a Palestinian putting an Israel flag on fire. I'm devastated that such a small/harmless accident would get an entire article and conceal what actually needs to be penetrated.  

Mr.Paterson mentioned that we should constantly be scrutinizing non-traditional media, whether that be social media or other alternatives that we want to read because the bias in the mainstream can get out of hand. In today's class, I was on the side that was given three newspaper stands from Palestinian perspectives. Just like what we experienced in class, I am sure there are a plethora of other resources that present information about the minority. Since social media platforms like Facebook are unfortunately censored and problematic, critical thinking is still very much needed. On another note, reading the article about "Iron Dome" was interesting, to say the least. At first glance, the superhero looked pretty ordinary, with no need for much criticism. There are always people who will talk badly about things on the internet. Plus, constructive criticism is not always bad. However, the iron dome was being rationed so absurdly, to a level I have never seen before. In conclusion, I've learned that since media is a significant part of our lives and every day we are inundated with information, carefully selecting where to accumulate information about contemporary society is vital. 


on a slight tangent...

My Chinese teacher told me there are people like Hasbara in China, but for famous celebrities, so negative comments will diminish, and celebrities' popularity will rise. Nonetheless, the circumstances in Israel are perilous. On top of that, Hasbara is operated by the government which makes things a lot more powerful, permanent and biased. 


Comments

Popular Posts