Contemplating Writing Styles (Jun. 15th)
Today’s class required lots of contemplating and decision-making because we were given a new task. When Mr.Paterson announced that we are going to create an entire website with various elements, I was overwhelmed and in absolute shock because this time of year is usually the busiest, and was unsure if I could devour both tasks parallelly. However, my team and I decided to split things up and made sure everyone had an equal contribution to the project. This project reminded me of what we did last year for our book reviews. Personally, creating the website was by far the most enjoyable activity of the entire process, so being to repeat that task this year was compelling. Since last week, my group made a few advances, and so we gave each other constructive criticism on the biographies we wrote. One thing I questioned when typing my biography was the style of writing about yourself. Our target is teenagers and young adults, so deciding if it should be writing using pronouns or names was an area of consideration. As I wrote in a formal way, in my view, it felt too distant and unenthusiastic for such a young target. After hearing Mr.Paterson’s opinion and being pushed to make our own call, we settled on calling ourselves using our first name. Using last names was out of the conversation for our group and objective. Especially because the topic our group is handling is not too serious and including some. Even after adequate analyzing and discussing, I felt my biography was too academic-like so we decided to append a message from each "reporter" on the website to escalate the friendliness without deteriorating the eloquence.
Notes:
x
Mid-class my team and I exchanged our topic of choice. As I listened to everyone's chosen topic, the difficulty of choosing a valid theme was quite difficult. Traditional media outlets take up a substantial amount of my news intake, so instantly finding fraud in the media was actually a lot more difficult than I had anticipated. False information concerning health is an issue transcending into people’s lives, and manipulating such vital information for the profit of some executive is not acceptable. As I research more about the topic, I am invigorated in successfully executing this project alongside my fellow "reporters" who have similar interests. Our group has a somewhat unified topic so thinking of slogans and team names was incredibly entertaining. In our group, we have a member who has not experienced Mr.Paterson’s projects so patiently guiding her while simultaneously accumulating all the information we’ve learned from the past three years was fun. It became a great reflection and also an opportunity to make greater advances since the previous website. Using alliteration, creating interesting headlines, organizing the website so it accessible and (readable) to everyone, creating high-quality videos will all hopefully be accomplished. Combating misleads in media is necessary and especially seeing our senpai’s professional and high-level work stimulated me in producing even more high-level, modern, updated information that was unavailable back in the day.
Notes:
promo video. intro. each person one or two minutes.
news reports.
external people
formal, casual, first name.
video. intro for the stories. quote. combat misleads in media.
reporter introduction. presentations. newspaper story
Team Name: Reality Reports (At first my idea was "Robust Reporters" because our topics are unified under health-related fraud. However, someone suggested that the word "robust" sounds a little manly and gallant for a young audience)
Comments
Post a Comment