Politics, Media, and its Viewers (Sep. 22)
After a long weekend, in today's class, we watched a documentary by the Mef (Media Education Foundation) called 'Constructing Public Opinion'. This was another video from YouTube. In my other classes like Contemporary Society and Global Issues (both English courses), we watch documentaries on Netflix that usually criticize inconvenient truths in various industries of society. After being told that so many mainstream media that I once believed to be neutral are actually biased (including social media platforms like Facebook) I wonder if YouTube and Netflix are considered 'unbiased'. Putting aside my in-class ponderations, and before going off on a complete tangent, today's class was a combination of both politics and media. Recently, we had been studying how politicians typically/predominantly do not deliver what the public wants. The so-called "representatives" are not responsive or accountable enough to "represent" the public. As an example, Mr.Paterson introduced a band that frequently contain strong political messages in their songs (very rare in Japan), and a huge producing company owning up to 70% of the radio stations banned that band. As exemplified, and just like Mr.Paterson said, a lot of the power is concentrated on huge companies, and so politicians serve companies, rather than normal citizens. Additionally, the explanation of the level of insanity amongst politicians regarding money and bribery in today's class left me in shock. When Mr.Paterson gave an example of bribery in corruption using school tests, I honestly could understand why people would do such things. Notwithstanding, the responsibility and impact politicians have on thousands of people is incomparable to a test that will improve individuals' grades. With a politician's greedy decisions, so many people face a plethora of hardships so as “representative” I hoped matters alleviate.
Alongside American politics, comparing the conservative and liberal parties, and discussing what it means to be “moderate”, we ended the class with a lecture on Japanese politics. Undoubtedly, comprehending the intercontinental political reality is very thought-provoking, but being taught about the dirty truths of Japanese contemporary society is most compelling. A slight fraction of Japanese politician’s dirty ways can be observed in recent Covid circumstances. Mr.Paterson talked about how Japan only tests a few covid tests in comparison to other rich countries. My brother had talked about this prior to this class, and when I asked him where he got his information, he said Tik Tok. I had never truly examined how “successful” and “hopeful” Japan looks when covid cases were declining when the reality is quite the opposite. Thinking back, I was one of many Japanese people who simply believed what the mainstream media said and felt hopeful about Japan having fewer Covid cases. When Mr.Paterson mentioned the upcoming elections having to do with reported Covid cases declining, I was startled. Election runner-ups go extensive with manipulating the public, but if Mr.Paterson had not taught us, I would not have realized that Covid cases are manipulated so secretively. This exposes how closely mainstream media platforms and politicians are connected, as well as how unengaged viewers, especially young generations in Japan are. At the end of class, my friend and I were discussing why Japanese teenagers are so uninterested and almost overlook most political issues to the point they have no clue of prevalent issues. In our discussion, I simply could not find an answer to why Japanese people simply do not dedicate any time, attention, nor passion to politics. Therefore, I am in wonderment about how this reality is viewed from other countries. To summarize, today’s class was yet another 45 minutes congested with new realizations, revelations, disappointment, and (questions) about the relationship between politics, media, and normal citizens.
Notes:
vague theme. very seldom that they talk about the specifics because they are scared of people's answers. people support conservative ideas. if there are two extremists, everyone else in the middle is the best - very present idea in conservative Japan. "middle ground is the safest" result in terrible situations. probably higher in Japan. moderate is someone who avoids being on the extreme. left = mainstream?
if money is involved, the democrats and republicans have different opinions.
think on the wrong things. purposely conceal the facts, not lying. trying to influence you to change your opinion.
covid- tests are a lot less than other richer countries. even less as we get closer to the election. so the runner-ups look better and successful.
unengaged and uninterested, unkeen Japanese people.
Alongside American politics, comparing the conservative and liberal parties, and discussing what it means to be “moderate”, we ended the class with a lecture on Japanese politics. Undoubtedly, comprehending the intercontinental political reality is very thought-provoking, but being taught about the dirty truths of Japanese contemporary society is most compelling. A slight fraction of Japanese politician’s dirty ways can be observed in recent Covid circumstances. Mr.Paterson talked about how Japan only tests a few covid tests in comparison to other rich countries. My brother had talked about this prior to this class, and when I asked him where he got his information, he said Tik Tok. I had never truly examined how “successful” and “hopeful” Japan looks when covid cases were declining when the reality is quite the opposite. Thinking back, I was one of many Japanese people who simply believed what the mainstream media said and felt hopeful about Japan having fewer Covid cases. When Mr.Paterson mentioned the upcoming elections having to do with reported Covid cases declining, I was startled. Election runner-ups go extensive with manipulating the public, but if Mr.Paterson had not taught us, I would not have realized that Covid cases are manipulated so secretively. This exposes how closely mainstream media platforms and politicians are connected, as well as how unengaged viewers, especially young generations in Japan are. At the end of class, my friend and I were discussing why Japanese teenagers are so uninterested and almost overlook most political issues to the point they have no clue of prevalent issues. In our discussion, I simply could not find an answer to why Japanese people simply do not dedicate any time, attention, nor passion to politics. Therefore, I am in wonderment about how this reality is viewed from other countries. To summarize, today’s class was yet another 45 minutes congested with new realizations, revelations, disappointment, and (questions) about the relationship between politics, media, and normal citizens.
Notes:
vague theme. very seldom that they talk about the specifics because they are scared of people's answers. people support conservative ideas. if there are two extremists, everyone else in the middle is the best - very present idea in conservative Japan. "middle ground is the safest" result in terrible situations. probably higher in Japan. moderate is someone who avoids being on the extreme. left = mainstream?
if money is involved, the democrats and republicans have different opinions.
think on the wrong things. purposely conceal the facts, not lying. trying to influence you to change your opinion.
covid- tests are a lot less than other richer countries. even less as we get closer to the election. so the runner-ups look better and successful.
unengaged and uninterested, unkeen Japanese people.
Comments
Post a Comment