Reflecting on this School Year

    This semester we were taught a plethora of things, predominantly related to media and politics. These were two genres I would not have developed an interest in if Mr.Paterson had not taught us. Personally, one of the most memorable lessons was when we touched on topics such as the meat and milk industry. As someone who is interested in health, plant-based foods, ethical lifestyles, animal exploitation, and whatnot, seeing the truth being exposed and discussing these topics with my classmates was a great experience. We watched a documentary about the American milk industry exposed. The number of chemicals injected into cows in the U.S. was startling and petrifying, to say the least. Mass production and efficient strategies for production are vital to grow a country's economy and feed the growing population. Therefore, media concealing these frauds was slightly understandable, but regardless, this issue involves people's health and children's future. So I was disgusted by the corporations that continue to do such nasty things, and the media deliberately hiding it from people who have the right to know. I do not drink milk, but this lesson left me conflicted on food production in general and had me wondering how often this happens in other industries. Throughout this course, there were innumerable times when my hope and faith in the government were betrayed. It had always been an undoubtful fact that the government and people with money should be salvaging subordinates and those in need of help. Up until this class, media being falsified was an established reality, but such fraud occurring in the food industry was eye-opening. Alongside exposure to the milk industry, The Meatrix was one of my favorite things we have learned. Mr.Paterson bringing up topics I regularly research in my spare time is always exciting. Not only can I learn more about the topic, but watching my classmates react to these issues and hearing what they think about it is always stimulating. Whether it is humorous campaigns like The Meatrix, or journalists with a strong sense of justice exposing the fake media, we were introduced to some good in the society which kept me going. 

    Another interesting series of lessons was when we learned how the war functions and the way corporations benefit from it. Recalling this lesson and the facts we were taught are thought-provoking now more than ever, with everything happening in Ukraine and Russia. In the second semester, we watched a documentary called "Iraq's Missing Billions" which served as a culmination of what we learned throughout the past two semesters. Mr.Paterson, as always, would elucidate and explain parts of the issue or introduce a significant person related to the issue at hand. For this class, he talked about Smedly Butler and his famous words "war is a racket". This quote has stuck with me since the day I heard it, and I will occasionally think about it, even to this day. Butler makes an incredibly valid point, which really summarizes the reality of society and how it is inherently unfair. Ukraine's president fighting on the grounds of Ukraine is very rare, and usually, CEOs and politicians will never go to the frontlines of a war, but rather benefit from it, by implementing political measures which make politicians look good, or make money out of the equipment used at war. All whilst people are desperately fighting to protect their family and country. Not only did this infuriate me, but it left me curious about when politicians started to be displaced in this way and become the protagonists of our society. The power some executives hold is way too substantial for any human, and it is frightful. The divergence created between elites and citizens is obnoxious. And, when citizens raise their voices against the wrong in society, they are broadcasted as violent, crazy, politically biased people. When in reality, the people who should be depicted negatively are the nasty CEOs and politicians. Mainstream media is yet again a problem here and at this point, I did not even feel betrayed or disappointed because I have learned that there is not much hope in the mainstream media. 

    Aside from lessons about the meat industry, war, and the mainstream media, there were copious other topics that genuinely stimulated my brain, and left me thinking about it outside of class. The third one I was interested in was the most recent lecture on Ukraine and Russia. This war has been permeating the news and has been accumulating international attention. I have watched a few videos and posts on Instagram showing videos on the frontlines of the war and exposing information that is concealed in the mainstream. There is a huge bias in this issue which is very similar to what happened in Israel, Palestine. What we know through the Japanese media may not be completely wrong, but the "why" is not portrayed in the media and it is very much manipulated. Protests have been happening all around Japan as well, but still, the support is selective due to the news. The world is predominantly supporting and sympathizing with Ukraine, but history is never discussed in the news and a lot of it is left out. This last lesson really reminded us of the importance of learning how to separate the truth and the lies. Other than the three interesting topics, I was intrigued by the U.K. referendum on Brexit was something I had never really thought about, but it was very intriguing. Also, I was excited when Mr.Paterson talked about COP26 because that was yet another issue I have a great passion for. Not only was the context of each lesson memorable, but also this school year we created our own government, planned a series of lessons, did fun class activities testing our creativity, assessed our political bias (using the political compass), created a website, and more. The class activities were all extensive in nature, and reflecting back on the school year I feel like I have acquired knowledge that has truly helped me grow not only a critical mindset but interest in issues happening in contemporary society. The opportunities Mr.Paterson has given me to present alongside him and my talented peers at JALT are unforgettable, and I am so grateful! Thank you for four amazing years, it has been a wonderful experience taking your class! 


Comments

Popular Posts